Wednesday, September 17, 2008

U of M campus highlights

I first enjoyed the University of Montana campus, as a freshman in the early 1970s. This was my freshman dorm, Corbin Hall,
an all girl's dorm - with dorm mothers, evening curfew, and restricted male visitors. We enjoyed Star Trek each evening after supper in front of the dorm lobby television and held candle ceremonies to celebrate any and all engagements -- I even remember the traditional song was "Tell Me Why" sung in beautiful harmony for the couple- here are the lyrics:

Tell me why the stars do shine.
Tell me why the ivy twines.
Tell me why the sky's so blue,
And I will tell you just why I love you.

Because God made the stars to shine.
Because God made the ivy twine.
Because God made the sky so blue.
Because God made you, that's why I love you!

Continuing my walking tour, I came to Main Hall, which rests beneath Mount Sentinel or "the M". Third floor housed the office of Information Services (centered beneath the clock), where I worked each week for 15 hours allowed by the work study program. I have many great memories of the wonderful staff I worked with that first year of college, including my older sister, who was completing college as I was beginning. Just behind Main Hall is the University Center (UC) Commons, which has been expanded much since my days at U of M. I marveled not only at the beautiful plants, ...but the variety of places to eat -- totally unknown in my day :)

Jay Rummel, a singer-songwriter, and artist, painted a spectacular mural located on the second floor of the UC Commons, entitled "Five Valleys Trilogy." The mural depicts, in amazing detail and psychedelic style, many legendary people and events of western Montana, and specifically, Missoula and Hellgate Canyon historyEddie's Club, featured in this portion of the mural, was a downtown hangout where students rubbed elbows with local characters...while this portion portrayed Chief Joseph, who surrenderd, along with many from the Nez Pearce tribe, to the infantry at Fort Missoula in the 1870s.

Finally, I admit confusion on just how many new buildings have been added to the campus. Here is the newest one being built - for the Education Department. I liked the view of the hills, between the levelsMy son phoned as I returned to my car; we made lunch plans at the Old Post downtown, as Sunday continued on...

No comments: