Friday, June 6, 2008

Love's Abiding Joy

Okay, so I love a collection of books or movies that follow the same characters. This collection features two of my favorite themes - the Christian family life and homesteading.

Years ago, I remember my niece reading the novels of Janette Oke. So, when this movie series, based on her books came out, beginning with Love Comes Softly, it appealed to me. If I am honest, one of the appeals was the actress, Katherine Heigl, in the role of Marty. In fact, throughout the series of movies, I have recognized many well known actors and actresses in various roles. The series is directed by Michael Landon, Jr., and if you were a fan of his father's acting and directing career, you may see a similarity in their styles.

So, with the aid of my friend Netflix, last evening I enjoyed the fourth movie in the series, and was not disappointed. Since homesteading is the theme, you know that hardship and tragedy are going to be a part of that life. However, this movie deals honestly with the grief of an unexpected death, and what that unique struggle looks like in the Christian family portrayed. I don't want to give too much detail away here, but do want to encourage this for a video night. Of course, the story in this movie will be more complete if you have watched the previous three:

Love Comes Softly,
Love's Enduring Promise
Love's Long Journey

What movies can you commend for my Netlix queue?

No comments: