Tuesday, October 28, 2008

John Wayne's Delight


So, a recent blog post here, mentioned me enjoying "John Wayne's Delight," and I received a comment regarding the recipe's title. I know that I asked the same question of the lady who brought it to a friend's baby shower (over 20 years ago...)so my secondhand knowledge may be faulty here...

What I recall, is that this book had recently been published. The book was on stereotypes of masculinity...and John Wayne epitomized masculinity in many people's minds. At this point, I'll leave it to the reader to either follow that train of thought, or provide their own knowledge or conjecture on why this quiche has this name:)

Anyway, I loved this quiche from the first time I tasted it, and it has been enjoyed by family and friends for the past 20+ years.

Did I mention it is very easy to make? Here is the recipe if you are interested:

John Wayne's Delight

2 (4 oz.) cans chopped green chilies (I prefer mild ones)
1 lb. grated cheddar cheese*
1 lb. grated Monterey Jack cheese*
4 eggs, separated
1 Tablespoon flour
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 diced tomatoes

(* this last time, I used a bagged mixture of grated colby and M Jack cheeses)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In large bowl mix grated cheese and chilies together, put in a buttered 9x13 inch pan. Separate eggs. Mix yolks, evaporated milk, flour, salt and pepper. Beat egg whites until peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture. Put over cheese mixture, and fold egg mixture into cheese. Bake 30 minutes. Put diced tomatoes on top and bake another 30 minutes.TAAAA DAHHHHH!!!! Especially for you, Karen :)



1 comment:

Karen said...

Oooh, thank you so much, Sharon! This looks delicious and like something my family would like. I'll think of The Duke everytime I make it;)